A sophisticated dessert recipe for sweeter days: Foret Noire cake
Even though they might seem suitable only for expert chefs, sophisticated dessert recipes are often very easy to make. One of the recipes that you can do at home without having to be an expert is the Foret Noire cake, a classic dessert that – despite it’s French name – is actually very popular in German countries. Apart from the fact that it looks sophisticated and tastes delicious, it’s also healthier than you might think. Because one of its basic ingredients is dark chocolate, it has fewer calories and you can eat it without feeling guilty. Here is how to bake one of the most famous cakes:
Foret Noire cake
For the dough: 100g dark chocolate, 100g soft butter, 100g sugar, a pinch of salt, 6 eggs, 150g shredded nuts, 50g flour, 1 sachet of baking powder
For the cream: one sachet of jelly, 2 spoonfuls of sugar, 100 ml cherry liquor, 500 ml liquid cream, sour cherry compote, 1 sachet of gelée
For the frosting: chocolate, cream or sour cherries
– First, preheat the oven at 175 degrees C and add baking paper at the bottom of the cake pan.
– Separate the egg whites from egg yolks.
– Melt the dark chocolate in bain-marie.
– Mix thoroughly the soft butter with a pinch of salt, sugar and the egg yolks (with a mixer)
– Add melted chocolate, nuts, flour and baking powder in the butter cream.
– Mix the egg whites separately and then add the above combination gradually, mixing very slowly up and down.
– Pour the obtained dough in a cake pan and let it bake for 25 minutes at medium temperature
– Dissolve the jelly sachet in 100 ml cold water and then heat it until dissolved completely (don’t let it boil)
– Mix the jelly with cherry liquor
- Make sour cherry frosting out of compote, sugar and gelée – add these ingredients in a kettle and let it heat for 1-2 minutes at low temperature
- Slice the cold dough in two or three
- Place the first side of the dough on a tray, add the juice from sour cherry compote (you can also add a spoonful of cherry liquor if you like)
- Add cream, sour cherries from the compote and part of the sour cherry jelly on top of the first dough.
- Add the next dough and so on.
- On top of the last dough add some cream and decorate it with grated chocolate and sour cherries.
- Leave the cake in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours before serving it.
Make sure you do not place the Foret Noire into the freezer when it is hot because it will make the freezer work harder to freeze the hot food and you may alter the flavor and smell of the cake because of dry spots. Check some freezer reviews to see if placing the hot cake will affect its working capacity. There are many freezer reviews available without any cost.
This type of Foret Noire cake is best served with a glass of champagne.